You know all those little dots of lights on DVD players and coffee pots that you see at night…they’re silently sucking power. You might have up to 40 products that use standby power and not even know it!
Your first reaction might be to start unplugging everything. Leave that to those products you rarely use, like the TV/DVD in the guest room. But if you tend to use the products daily, avoid frequent unplugging and plugging because you could get electrocuted from frayed wires. Instead, use a switchable power strip for clusters of products—computers and printers, audio and video consoles, small kitchen appliances, etc. That way you can switch everything with just one touch.
For more tips and information, visit the Standby Power website.